Nook Farm Map Location #2
Designed by New York architect Francis Kimball for Franklin and Mary Porter Chamberlin, this Aesthetic-style house stands on the western corner of Farmington Avenue and Forest Street. The house was renamed to honor the Stowe Center's founder, Katharine Seymour Day, who saved it from demolition. The building contains the Stowe Center programs, research library and administrative offices.
Chamberlin – Clemens Greenhouse, 1871
A 1,500 sq. ft., cross-shaped pit greenhouse was built by Franklin Chamberlin as a commercial operation. In 1881, Franklin and Mary Chamberlin began building a home close to the Clemens' driveway. Concerned about losing their privacy, the Clemens purchased the planned house site with the greenhouse and surrounding land. The Chamberlins moved the site of their new home to its current location. The greenhouse operated commercially into the twentieth century and was dismantled c.1910.